The Group of 100 members attended the Annual Federal Political Engagement Day in Canberra on Wednesday, 11 September. The day long briefings concluded with a dinner at the Ottoman Cuisine restaurant, with Hon Michael Sukkar, Minister for Housing and Assistant Treasurer in the current Federal Parliament, as guest speaker.
As in 2018, Group of 100 members had the opportunity to attend several events on the day, the briefing with politicians in Parliament House, Question Time, the G100 Board Meeting, the meeting with the Hon Josh Frydenberg, Treasurer of Australia and dinner with politicians in the evening.
The political engagement involved a series of informal discussions structured in twenty-minute blocks allowing members to engage freely with each politician. The conversations were held under the “Chatham House Rule”. After briefings, the G100 members attended Question Time, informative and entertaining as always.
Politicians that joined us during the day included:
- Hon Josh Frydenberg, Treasurer of Australia;
- Dr Jim Chalmers, Shadow Treasurer;
- Hon Paul Fletcher, Minister for Communications, Cyber Security and the Arts;
- Claire O’Neil MP, the Shadow Minister for Innovation, Technology and the Future of Work;
- Stephen Jones MP, the Shadow Assistant Treasurer and Shadow Minister for financial services;
- Jason Falinski MP, Member of Parliament, leading the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Tax and Revenue; and
- Tim Wilson MP, Member of Parliament, leading the Standing Committee on Economics.